Saturday, May 31, 2014


Well assembly is now firmly under way.

Adding 1/8” facing to the inside of the center spine so it’s flush with the bottom rail and center post.

Here’s the carcase, glue is drying on the facings, but otherwise assembled. YAY!

First pair of drawer slides installed.

Adding the edge banding to the top. this is what you do when your longest clamps aren’t long enough…

Friday, May 30, 2014

It's got legs...

I finally decided to taper the legs for the desk.

A picture of my tapering jig

One of the legs

All four, done. you can see the color differences in the legs made from two different woods. I’m not too worried about it, though, as I plan on putting the 2 pine legs on the back of the desk where they’ll be seen less.

Gluing the front block onto the middle assembly. I guess the plywood that I used was actually 5/8 or 11/16 as its not quite as wide as the bottom rail or the front block. I’ll deal with this later.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Replacement Desk

 My neighbors lent me a desk for a while and, although I didn’t use it a lot (it was a bit small), I did like having it in my room. Since they took it back for their son to use, I’ve really missed having it. So I am going to attempt to build a replacement. I am using the writing desk from WWMM as a template.
 The sides and back are a glue-up of construction grade 3/4 ply and 5mm ply that I had from previous projects. the center spine is a glue-up of 2 pieces of 5/8” ply. The bottom rails are just 1×2 furring strips cut to length.
The front legs are cut from a piece of “whitewood” 1×4 that I had from a previous project and the back legs are cut from a piece of 1×4 pine that I was able to scavenge. They are glued together then cut to 1 1/2” square. I haven’t decided yet if I want to taper the legs or not.

The top is a piece of 3/4” birch-faced plywood (not birch veneer ply) cut to 20”x40”.
 I already cut most of the pieces to size and am now staining the top, sides and back a darker color for some contrast. Once this is done and all is assembled, I plan on giving the entire thing a layer or two of clear poly for protection.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Project update and other stuff

 My project fell flat. It looked like poo so I decided not to give it. I was a bit sad about it but there ya go. I was attempting to make a gift box out of some salvaged pallet wood but not all the slats were the same thickness and, since I don't have a thickness planer, there wasn't much I could do about it. maybe someday.
 I did manage to get my compact router table built and usable so that's a plus! I build the router lift based on images from This was a bit more difficult that I thought it would be as I had to reverse-engineer the thing from pictures of the finished product. The router table was a salvaged piece of counter top that is very nice and should work well. I got *a* fence built for it but I'll likely build a different one once I get a chance as the one I have now doesn't really work great.
 In other news, I got to run lights for Bad Agent, A local band that plays at the theater I do stuff with. It was a really good show and I had fun.